Mu Shu Jackfruit Lettuce Wraps
Recipe from the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1 20-ounce can young green jackfruit in water or brine (not syrup), well drained and pieces coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or wheat-free tamari)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup slivered baby carrots
- 4 to 5 mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (about 5 ounces)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil (optional)
- Lettuce leaves for wrapping
- In a medium-sized saucepan, saute the onion until it softens (add a splash of water or broth if it begins to stick). Add the garlic and ginger root and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped jackfruit, vegetable broth, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce to the pan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on low until jackfruit softens and begins to shred when you press on it with the edge of a spoon (about 20-30 minutes).
- Gently “encourage” the larger pieces to fall apart. Then add the remaining ingredients (except lettuce), cover, and simmer until the mushrooms exude their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in lettuce cups with sriracha or extra hoisin sauce. May be eaten warm or cold.
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 97
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 12.7g
- Sugar: 5.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 4.2g