Jackfruit Veg (Kathal ki Subzi)
Recipe from Lemon in Ginger.
- 250 grams of kathal (jackfruit), cleaned
- 1 medium sized potato
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of ghee (clarified butter)
- ¼ inch of ginger
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon of red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon of amchoor or raw mango
- ¼ teaspoon of garam masala
- a pinch of asafoetida
- salt to taste
- Remove the hard peel of jackfruit. Chop it into bite sized pieces. Remove the hard covering of the seeds inside the jackfruit. Peel and chop potatoes in same size as jackfruit.
- Heat ghee in a cooker, add all the spices. Now add tomatoes and slightly roast them. Add chopped jackfruit and potatoes to the spices. Add very little water and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Serve hot with chapati.
- Recipe is from a family recipe repertoire.
- Simple yet delicious vegetable to make and enjoy.