Recipe from the Coach Debbie Runs
- One can green jackfruit in brine or water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 Serrano chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can white or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 27 ounce can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 1 cup corn
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle beer (I used non-alcoholic because that’s what I had on hand)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Optional condiments: Avocado, vegan cheese, cilantro, tortillas, salsa
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Using a fork, shred the jackfruit. Mix in the cumin, red pepper and chili powder and set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium heat
- Add the onion, garlic and yellow pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the Serrano chili(s). Cook for several more minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the jackfruit and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and beans.
- Add the water.
- Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a low boil.
- Add the corn and the beer and return to a low boil.
- Add Tabasco
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If needed add additional hot sauce to taste.
- Serve with desired condiments
Jackfruit Chili is vegan, gluten free, and completely unprocessed. While I used vegan cheese on my Jackfruit Chili, which is technically not an unprocessed food, it would have tasted just as good without it. The recipe made a huge batch of chili, enough to serve six to eight people. For the two of us, there was enough left over to freeze two separate containers (hurray!).