BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches with Avocado Slaw
- 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water (NOT in syrup or brine)
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning (2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan) + more for topping
AVOCADO SLAW (optional)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage + carrots (Trader’s has a great cruciferous veg mix)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- (water to thin)
- 4-6 whole grain vegan buns (GF for gluten free eaters)
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews (or roast on your own – see notes*)
- Rinse, drain and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the centre “core” portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit. Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some color.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavor).
- Remove lid and stir occasionally. TIP: For finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
- In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
- Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra color/texture (a tip I learned from Namely Marly!). Then remove from heat.
- Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit, and cashews. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!
- Leftover jackfruit keeps for up to a couple days in the fridge, though best when fresh
- Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 5 sandwiches with avocado slaw and roasted cashews.
- Loosely adapted from Blissful Basil.
- To roast your own cashews: Toss 1/2 cup cashews in a bit of oil and sea salt and spread on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until roasty, fragrant and slightly golden brown.
- Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 431
- Fat: 13.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 1000mg
- Fiber: 15.7g
- Protein: 11.5g
See video below of the awesome Nikki Limo testing out this delicious jackfruit recipe.